Friday, March 11, 2011

Copper Kitty

On Wednesday Ben and Janae had a dentist appointment about an hour after Ben's school day ended. To pass the time in between, we stopped at my mom and dad's house. Ben loves hearing his grandpa's stories and the girls love talking to grandma and playing with all the toys.

This time, though, the pirate in my boy came through. As Ben was having a snack in the kitchen he noticed my mom's extensive collection of copper jelly molds. My mom has molds of all shapes and sizes--animals, hearts, fruits, fish--displayed high up on the kitchen walls.

Ben asked Grandma if he could have one, and she said yes. Ben chose a kitty cat, which he joyfully carried to the van as we left.

 


A few minutes later we were riding the elevator up to our dentist's office. A man got onto the elevator just after we did, and Ben immediately turned to him, looked up and said, "My Grandma gave me copper." The man smiled politely, gave me a bit of a confused look, and said, "That's good."

Later on at home, Jason came out of Ben's room holding the copper cat.

"What's this?" he asked.
"My mom gave it to Ben," I replied without even looking.
"Why?" was the obvious question.
"I think Ben wanted it for his pirate treasure collection," I explained.

Just before bedtime I realized Ben had the "sharing bag" for school the next day (that's what my generation used to call "Show and Tell," for anyone who might not know). "What are you going to take?" I asked my son, bracing myself for another broken Star Wars ship that we would have to re-build after school the next day.

"I have a great idea," Ben said, running up to his room. He came down with . . . you guessed it: the copper cat.

"Are you sure?" was all I could come up with to say.

I know kids sometimes take unusual things for sharing, but I doubt anyone has ever taken a jelly mold . . .

or loved a copper cat as much as Benjamin loves this one.

 


Hopefully it is safe to assume that this is just a phase and that it, too, shall pass :)

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Copper Kitty is a great Pirate Treasure! :D

mom said...

I hope Ben had a good response when he took the 'copper kitty' to school.
I'm sure it will get more attention in Ben's possession than it ever did in my kitchen.