Tuesday, January 6, 2009

You Could Call it an Eclipse

 


I finished New Moon last Monday (i.e., over a week ago), and all I can say is that I really enjoyed it (after the first couple of chapters) and couldn’t wait to read the third installment. So, on Tuesday I went to the mall to buy Eclipse. I was shocked to find it was only available in hardcover (costing about twice as much as a softcover) until MAY 2009 (this is where I show how much of a late-comer I am to the Twilight saga). Anyway, I had two options:

1. Squander our Disneyland fund on a book that would last me only a week (and which would be followed by another similarly priced hardcover that would also only last a week)

Or

2. Wait until May and buy the softcover.

Option 1 was looking inevitable since option 2 would be impossible, but then I began to draw upon my background in postmodernism—which says that when there is an option A and an option B, there is always an option C as well.

It didn’t take long to come up with it . . . the Library.

I was on my way when I started picturing the lady at the circulation desk—who sees us every week as we attend story time and check out our stack of children’s books. Did I want to tell her about my Twilight addiction—or . . . um . . . interest? No.

So, I came up with another idea. I could request the book online. Of course, I’d have to pick it up, but I could act casual about it and pretend it was for “a friend.” On the library’s online catalogue I found that Eclipse was due back in the middle of January. I thought I’d better request Breaking Dawn at the same time, since it was checked out and already had another hold on it (just a casual interest, I swear!).

Before you start thinking about how clever I am at finding this solution, I have to admit that I’m still not sure how it’s going to work. I haven’t requested a book from our public library before (as far as I can remember), and have no idea how I will find out when my books have arrived. Will someone call me when they come in? Should I be checking the reserve shelves weekly . . . or daily? (I’ve seen these shelves—they have the requestor’s name printed on a white paper cover—maybe Eclipse is sitting there right now with LISA across the spine . . . ). Or, maybe my request for the books was lost in cyberspace.

Anyway, I am learning to be a bit more patient—after all it has been OVER A WEEK!

4 comments:

Anita said...

Call the Library Lisa!! Don't be ashamed to LOVE Twilight--you're not alone:)

Angie said...

Oh Lisa, you are hilarious! I've requested books/DVD's from the library before, and they will send you an email when your request has arrived! By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your baby news! I'm very excited for you. Oh, and I have to confess...I read your blog like a mad-woman, but I'm one of those blog-creepers...I don't readily leave comments, but the thought of you being without Eclipse and Breaking Dawn just broke my heart and I had to say SOMETHING! So I guess there will be no tight-lipped-ness from me...I'm a huge fan of your blog! :D See you Sunday!

Lisa said...

Wow--I actually have READERS outside of my family! :) Thanks, Angie!

Anonymous said...

you're addicted to the Twilight saga too. I was introduced over the Christmas holiday and read Twilight in 12 hours, I think I was a record for me. I've been desperate to find New Moon, although I haven't gone to the mall yet or Chapters. I agree with your sister, don't be ashamed. Its a fantastic read that has many a woman in a frenzy for more. The teasers trailers at the end almost demand that you pick up the latest edition as soon as you wake in the morning. It's devious how they leave you hanging. Although, I suppose you could choose not to read the sneak preview. But if you're like me, you have to read the book cover to cover.