Have you ever noticed that having high expectations only leads to disappointment?
This morning I thought I had a simple plan: we would go to the craft store, the vegetable store, and then to Ben's preschool to pick up a hanging basket we'd ordered.
Entering the craft store I had great hopes of finding supplies to make invitations for Ben's upcoming pirate party. Not being especially crafty, but not wanting to use any of the ready-made invitations we saw at the party store (too scary for little kids!), I thought I'd get some pirate-themed paper, stickers, etc. and put it all together. I didn't have much luck. I'm going to have to get crafty pretty quickly if I want to make anything piratey out of this!
Then we went to the vegetable store. We were only there for apples and oranges, but I got the bright idea that my kids might like to try something new. (Yes, I remember now, my kids don't try new things.) I showed Janae and Ben a kiwi, and they both seemed interested, so I bought two. When we got home I asked, very enthusiastically (maybe too enthusiastically--they knew something was wrong!), "Who wants to try the kiwi?" Neither of them did. So I ate it myself. It was rock hard and sour enough to make even my eyes water. So much for that little experiment.
And finally, the hanging basket. These baskets had been talked up by the preschool's administrator--who had gone on and on about the quality and value of the plants. So you can imagine my disappointment when I saw my $24 hanging basket . . . that looked like the ones they sell at Superstore (you know, that high quality nursery where the plants are so well cared for?) 2 for $25. I guess I was just picturing something a little less squished and with a few more flowers.
I realize that I expect a lot--I guess most other people probably would have been happy with all of the experiences and products I've described. Maybe if I lower my expectations, I'll have a happier, less stressful, and longer life.
Do you think I have a chance?
This is a picture of Janae whose high hopes of playing at the park were dashed after she fell flat on her face--twice--scraping her knees and forehead on the cement--poor girl! Hopefully she won't end up too much like her Mama :)
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Poor Janae, her knees look sore, I hope they get better soon. I think I would give your hanging basket a "little" trim and then feed it some miragrow, it will probably grow some new shoots and be fuller. Good luck with the party invitations--at least you have a few weeks.
Post a Comment