Thursday, June 10, 2021

Finally, a Duet

A few weeks ago, Alaina's cello teacher texted me to say that Alaina would need a piano accompaniment for her cello recital, and that a musician could pre-record this piece for $10, which I could pay by e-transfer.

I know $10 isn't a lot of money, but since we've probably spent over $10,000 on piano lessons for Janae over the past 8 years, I wondered if perhaps we could get a bit of a return on our investment.

Janae agreed to learn the piece (for $10), which she sight read immediately and played almost perfectly. 

The next few weeks were a dream come true for me as I listened to them practice together.

You see, ever since we've had multiple music students in the house, I have been asking them to play a duet. I've seen other siblings collaborating to perform beautiful musical numbers for church, recitals, and other occasions, and I could imagine Janae playing the violin while Alaina or Ben played the piano, or Janae playing the piano or violin while Alaina played the cello. Unfortunately, they never caught the vision.

There was always an excuse about the songs being in different keys or one person not being as capable (or willing) as the other. 

This time was different. I'm not sure if it was the $10 on the line or the fact that Alaina's teacher had requested the accompaniment (as opposed to me), or if Alaina has just reached a level where she's comfortable playing alongside another person, but somehow it happened! 


And there's even a video of the live performance to prove it (please excuse the hideous green carpet).


I know they are both still soloists at heart, but it's heartwarming for their mom to know that they really can play a duet :)

0 comments: