I've been thinking about why this is so, and I've realized that it's not just damage done by all those New Year's Eves spent at YSA dances. It's not fear of Polar Bear swims or sadness at having to take down the Christmas decorations.
New Year's marks a change in thinking, feeling, and schedule that I just don't like.
For example, when we are getting ready for Christmas, we are making and sharing treats, shopping for special gifts, seeing children on their best behavior, and getting everyone off to bed early in new pajamas.
After Christmas everything we've just bought is being cleared out at 70 percent off sales, people who give us treats are viewed with contempt, and nobody has any incentive to listen to their parents.
By New Year's we are vowing to never eat again or to spend any more money . . . and then we are forced to stay up until at least midnight to welcome this coming year of self-deprivation and buckling down.
Once the tree is actually down and all the decorations boxed up in the closet, I do enjoy the feeling of a clean house and more space, but it's the same kind of enjoyment I get from having the laundry put away or the dishes done. It's nice . . . just not that exciting.
And now that we've got a big kid in grade one, a new year also means the end of Benjamin at home, the end of sleeping in, and the end of not having to drive across town twice a day (that kind of sounds like a double negative, but I think you know what I mean!).
Just thinking about it all is enough to bring on a serious case of after-Christmas blues, and with no chocolate left in the house, either!
So, is there anything good about a new year? I thought I'd better list a couple of things we are looking forward to. . . .
Janae has been off of ballet for three weeks--which is three weeks too long. We're excited for dance classes to start next week :)
Benjamin has big plans that involve . . . let's see . . . Star Wars and Lego!
And I'm pretty sure Alaina will keep us laughing, singing, and re-reading our toddler library. She may even reinvent the terrible twos before the year is over.
As for Jason, I think he's going to take the Christmas lights down tomorrow (hint, hint), and I am going to read more novels, give the kids more hugs . . . and yes, lose those 3 extra pounds I gained over Christmas.
I guess it won't be that bad. Happy New Year! :)
1 comments:
SO TRUE!!!
Post a Comment