Monday, February 8, 2010

The Juice That Makes Hearts Sing

On Saturday I went grocery shopping with Jason and the kids. On the way out I realized we'd forgotten something, so I ran back in with Benjamin. As we attempted to make a quick dash through the store, we came across a woman offering samples of a fruit and vegetable cocktail (a generic version of V8 Splash). Benjamin showed interest in tasting the juice, and since it is almost impossible to get any sort of fruit OR vegetable into my children, I encouraged him to try it.

 


Benjamin started with the orange/tangerine, then moved on to the strawberry/banana, and finally the pomegranate. I was quickly trying to calculate how many servings of fruit/vegetables this was all adding up to when Benjamin asked if we could buy some of the juice to take home and share with Janae.

He decided orange/tangerine was his favorite, so we bought it, then hurried to the van.

On the way home, Benjamin told Janae all about the juice he had sampled. He told her, "It was so good, it made my heart sing!" then added, "Do you want to try some, Janae? Your heart will sing, too!"

When we got home, I put away the groceries, not thinking much about the juice (I was sure Benjamin wouldn't drink it again once we were home). An hour or so later, though, Ben asked if he could have some more of the juice that made his "heart sing."

 


I poured him a glass, and once again, he loved it. When I gave some to Janae, she said, "My heart is singing!!"

 


Reading the ingredients, I found that this wonder juice actually contains not only orange, tangerine and the obvious--carrot--juice, but also cucumber juice, and--you won't believe this--sweet potato puree.

That's pretty healthy juice--no wonder their hearts were singing!

(Just don't tell them what's in it.)

$3.50 at Superstore

1 comments:

mom said...

I wonder how Ben came up with the phrase "make my heart sing" ?:) Wanting to take some home to sare with Janae too, Ben must have thought the juice was a real treat! It's really interesting to watch children learn, isn't it!