Sleep always seems to be an issue at homes with young children. It certainly is at our place--whether it be Ben's late nights/early mornings, Janae's antics to try to stay up, my recurring insomnia, or Jason's inability to stay awake, sleep is something we talk about, think about, worry about.
But over the past few months, we have fine-tuned our night-time routine to the point where it runs like clockwork. I'd like to share it in case others can benefit from some of our insights.
Each night, Jason and I get Benjamin and Janae to clean up their toys and march upstairs (usually to the tune of "High-ho, high ho, it's up the stairs we go"). Benjamin asks how many stories he can pick, and Jason and I answer in unison . . . except I say 3 and Jason says 1. Ben picks out his three books while Jason brushes Janae's teeth, then I brush Ben's teeth while Janae pulls the rest of the books off of Ben's shelf and then organizes them by size, shape, and color.
Ben and Janae then crawl up into Ben's bed to listen to stories. After the first couple of pages, Janae moves on to some other relaxing activity, like pushing the buttons to hear the music on Benjamin's pirate ship or pulling the cat's tail.
Jason then suggests we have family prayer (we have to have at least two prayers due to sibling rivalry)--then he takes Janae into her room. I finish the stories with Ben, then delve into the mysteries of the universe as required by the questions Benjamin chooses to ask: "Why are mean people mean?" "Why do pirates steal gold?" "Why is there fire inside volcanos?"
I then change the subject to something more light-hearted--like funny things Ben said when he was 2. This leads to fits of giggles, and Jason comes in to tell us to be quiet. We then switch--Jason stays with Ben (answering his questions with, "Be quiet." and "Go to sleep."), and I go into Janae's room and sing the songs she requests (she wants to hear each Disney princess's song--and some of them are not easy--you should hear me try to get through "Colors of the Wind"!).
After this princess medly, Janae will say, "I want Daddy," so I happily go back to Ben's room and notify Jason that his presence is required. I then lie down with Ben, listen to his CD of Christmas Songs for Bedtime (much more relaxing than my singing!), and drift off to sleep.
I wake up about an hour or two later--probably because it sounds like someone is using a chainsaw in the adjoining room. I go into the bathroom to wash off my make-up, then open Janae's door to wake up my snoring husband--who is sleeping on the floor, using Janae's giant dog as a pillow.
Having no make-up to wash off, Jason simply staggers into bed and continues to sleep until morning.
I, however, am wide awake and take at least two more hours to fall asleep. Just before I do, I usually hear a rustling at Benjamin's door, then our door--before our five-year-old crawls into bed and finds a comfy spot with his arm across my face or his foot against Jason's stomach.
I admit that our routine could still benefit from some minor changes, but I'm 100 percent sure that both children are getting enough sleep (they are both still sleeping now, in fact!).
Besides, a pattern this well established will probably last--at least until we add a third child, then I'm not so sure. . . .
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It sounds like a long envolved bedtime routine. You must be very devoted parents to keep on going!!
I think our routine was more like "go to bed, one story and that's it"!
I don't know how you guys do it! Our bedtime routine is "girls get your jammies on and brush your teeth, then get in bed and wait for your hug and kiss." Tyson is a little more difficult...coming out of his bed for water, then stories, then a snack...
Mom and Anita--I guess what I'm trying to say is that we CAN'T keep this up--Jason and I are both so exhausted we fall asleep in our kids' rooms every night! Hopefully when they're a little older (like Jordan and Kya) we can use approaches like the ones you've mentioned and actually get the kids to bed!
Post a Comment